Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 66 (or: Walk and Live)

Ha HA!  Today's Thing is huge.  Really huge.

I began a new job.  A job that's promising to be incredible in a million big and small ways, but ONE of those millions of ways is the opportunity to live what I do.  When you live what you do, or do what you live, in effect, you're blurring the lines between the drudgery of work and the joy of life.  In reality, we should all be so in love with our "work" that there isn't any drudgery, and we live a life that is full of productivity (otherwise known as "work"), ease, beauty, joy, laughter, love, family, and chocolate.

I do carry on, don't I?  blahblahblah.  All this, to describe that I'm beginning, today, Day 66 of One Thousand Days, to change the way I commute to one of my many productivity places (otherwise known as "work").

You see, I've been engaged to provide organizational services to the remarkable and lovely Walkable and Livable Communities Institute, which luckily, although nationally renowned and functioning in a national and world-wide forum, is based in the lovely town of Port Townsend, WA.  Lucky me.  That's where I happen to be based as well!

A mission statement, and vision, for the WALC Institute, looks something like this:


"The WALC Institute is an educational, non-profit organization working to create healthy, connected communities that support active living and that advance opportunities for all people through walkable streets, livable cities and better built environments.
The Institute inspires, teaches, connects and supports communities in their efforts to improve health and well-being through better built environments."
"Walking" Artist:  Nicola Villa
So.  I'm doing a thing, which I've been wanting to do for a while, but haven't had the proper fire-under-my-rear to do begin.  Namely:  walking.  Because my new Productivity Place is a nice little Bic lighter and lighter fluid, and I'm JUST the briquette to ignite and flame on with my walking self.  
I won't even bother mentioning the health benefits of walking.  So obvious.  Or the environmental benefits of walking.  Because you're a smarty, and you already know, don't you?  And we don't want this post to carry on for the next 3 pages.  'Nough said.

Except this:  I will walk the 1.5 miles to work, and at about mile .75, I will stop, knock on a best friends door, and drink some tea before proceeding on with the other .75 miles of my journey.  Next week, I may BIKE!  And you just never know, maybe I'll even get on a city bus (wouldn't THAT be a hoot?).

66 down, 934 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...